Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Exposition of the Poetry Fiends

Now that I'm on break from school I have several missions. Amongst those are learning (or at least becoming sufficient familiar with) the Hiragana and (if I'm lucky) the Katakana. If I want to do well in Japanese then this is probably in my best interest. Something else I hope to do is record at least 3 new songs, and write lyrics for one that's been sitting on the sidelines for month's. And, then if I'm feeling ridiculously ambitious, I'll get my webzine up and running. I've been talking about doing this for month's, but I kind of lack staff support right now. Not that it's really necessary for me to have a big ass staff. But I've also promised people that I would get them involved, but they're doing other things, so I need to stop procrastinating. Along side the magazine venture is doing some little experiments. Some of the purposes of philosophy, and some " just to see what happeneds" (in the meantime exposing some bullshit. WOO.)

Something I'm constantly venturing into in the later mentioned goal. So, my first attempt will be with Poetry.com. Now... I first started seeing advertisements for these poetry contest back in the day (we're talking about 10 + years ago). I always thought "Wow, that'd be cool to win a contest like that. But my stuff isn't good enough." Yeah, well, so later on in life, when my literary skills had sharpened a bit, I submitted a poem to the website (this was around 6 years ago). So, anyway, after that I would intermittently submit something to the site, in slight hope that something might come of it. After awhile, I received this letter telling me that my piece was going to be published. I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe that MY lil ole poem was going in a REAL BOOK. And then of course they were so nice to offer me the chance to order the special edition book at a lowered price. I couldn't afford it, so I didn't order one. And I'm lucky I didn't.

Not too long after that, I received another letter, much like the previous one that said one of my poems was going on an audio poetry CD. And then they offered it to me at a lower than retail price. Hm.... So, again, I still thought this was cool. I received another letter, telling me about being published in a book. Not too long after I received all these glorious letters of notification, the subject of the website came up in conversation with a friend. She had received very similar letters, and as I talked to more of my poetry writing friends, I came to find out that they had as well. This showed me that it seemed nearly everyone who submitted a poem got published, and offered the same "great" deals. So, then I submitted a poem which I thought to be sappy, contrived, and clumsily written, and AGAIN I received a letter. So that brings us to my present project.

I'm going to submit a horrible poem. One that screams of emo-goth child angst with contrived sentiment pouring out of every orifice. Then I'll wait and watch they mail. If I get a letter...well...we'll get to that later. f

No comments: